Monday, October 19, 2009

Senor Fish - Eagle Rock, CA

Before our weekly flower arranging class at Ivy's Flower Station, Wonster and I went to Senor Fish for some burritos. Wonster has been talking about their shrimp and scallop burritos for awhile, so I was dying to try it out. Senor Fish is known for their fish tacos and I've had them years ago before I lived in San Diego, and haven't tried it since so I don't know how good they are. I am partial to the fish tacos at South Beach Bar & Grille in San Diego. It's sooo good, but I need a LA replacement.

So off we went to Senor Fish. Here's the colorful sign in front of the building. It's basically a cute craftsman house on a corner that they converted into a restaurant.

They have a whole condiment bar with radishes, limes and a whole slew of salsas. I wanted to take a picture for you all, but you couldn't really see the salsa because the containers were pretty deep. Wonster said the best one was the roasted tomato salsa. I had the roasted tomato salsa and the pico de gallo and they were both very tasty.
Here's the monster burrito.
I couldn't really get a good picture of the shrimp and scallops inside the burritos but it was filled with rice, beans, cabbage, salsa, sour cream and other goodness. The rice and beans were really good. I've been having some really good rice and beans in Eagle Rock lately.
I love the idea of shrimp and scallops in a burrito. I've had shrimp burritos before, but scallops ... oh my, my, it's genius. If I could change anything with this burrito, I would not fry the shrimp and scallops, but grill them instead. I think if it was fried right to order and then put into the burrito, it would be Ah-mazing! The batter didn't have the nice crunch I was expecting, rather it got soggy from all the ingredients in the burrito. I'm sure it's harder to maintain the consistency since it's in a burrito, so maybe I'll try it in a taco next time. Aside from that, the combination of the rice and beans with the shrimp and scallops were really good. It's definitely worth a visit to the Fish if you're in the area. I might have to go back and try this grilled in a burrito or fried in a taco next time, sooner rather than later, of course.

Senor Fish
4803 Eagle Rock Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90041


Oh, in other news, I got stung by a bee for the first time in my life. I was sitting outside the flower shop and thought my hair pin was falling out, so tried to grab it and didn't realize there was a bee on my head. So I got stung on the tip of my index finger. Wonster was kind enough to pull out the stinger for me, otherwise it would have been stuck in my finger all night. It definitely stung for a bit and my finger swelled up. Wonster and I just waited to see if I would have some weird allergic reaction and swell up like Violet Beareguarde from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Turns out, I'm not allergic. Good to know for future reference. But poor bee, who I accidentally scared and caused to sting me in self-defense. Apparently, the bee dies several hours after stinging because when the bee mortally tears her abdomen when the barbed stinger is left inside the victim, in this case, my finger. Poor thing, if she only knew I was just trying to touch my hair and not attack her. She stung me and killed herself in vain. =(

I did some more research and apparently male bees have no stingers, so it's only the ladies with the stingers. Queen bees, on the other hand, have smooth, curved stingers, which they use only on other queens and they can withdraw their stingers so they won't die. Learned something new today!

No comments:

Post a Comment