Saturday, October 17, 2009

Tiny Chocolate Chip Cookies

When the girls came over and baked cookies, we made a batch of these cookies but for some reason, it came out all funky. It was really runny. The cookies tasted OK, but they were not fat or chewy as the original batch. It might have been the butter. We didn't fully melt it, like the recipe called for, but it was pretty much melted from being out on the counter all morning so we figured it would be fine. I disobeyed the cardinal rule of baking .... always follow directions and measurements to a tee or else get wonky cookies. Thus, I got wonky cookies, but I learned my lesson.

The girls took the cookies home and I mailed the rest to Mary and my cousin. I was going to my aunt's house later this week and I know she loves whenever I bake her cookies, so I wanted to whip up a quick batch of cookies for her as well. I found a recipe in The Gourmet Cookbook for Tiny Chocolate Chip Cookies that referred to them as "exquisite and almost jewel-like." Sounded lovely to me, so I tried it.

Tiny Chocolate Chip Cookies
The Gourmet Cookbook

1 1/4 sticks (10 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups (7 1/2 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips

Put a rack in middle of oven and preheat oven to 400 F.

Beat together butter, sugar, salt and baking soda in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes.

It looks like this. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour and mix at low speed until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.

Drop barely rounded 1/2 teaspoons of dough about 1 1/2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets.

Bake in batches until golden brown, 6 to 7 minutes per batch. Transfer cookies to racks to cool. So don't these look exquisite and jewel-like?
These cookies are dangerous. They are so tiny so I found myself just popping the ugly ones into my mouth, which amounted to one out of four cookies. hahaha. I probably ate the equivalent of three gigantic cookies without even realizing it.

It takes awhile to scoop out the little balls of dough, but if you're in the mood for something different, this is a nice change from the usual chocolate chip cookies. Just don't yell at me if you end up eating 30 of these in one sitting. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment